Austalia's smallest Outback town
The South Australian heritage-listed William Creek Hotel has evolved over the years from a boarding house to a bustling tourist town with 53 accommodation rooms and a campground. The William Creek Hotel has played an integral part of South Australia’s railway history and nowadays the railway sleepers salvaged from the Old Ghan railway line form the walls of the Restaurant.
The name William Creek derives from a lake and a creek, which flow to the north and south of the town. John McDougall Stuart named William Spring and Lake William in 1859. “William’ was the second son of John Chambers, one of Stuart’s co-sponsors for his many expeditions.